Pretty in Orange is ready to go!!
What you will find there:
- Main Page (Home Page)
- This is where most of the entries that made up The World According to Lawgirl are. I’m still going through all of the entries and putting them in their proper places, but you will see all of the recent entries.
- This is also where you will find the navigation to the other pages, which operate independent of each other.
- This is where any and all product, book, movie, music, etc. reviews will go.
- This is where all of the posts from Fattie Fatterton are now.
- Anything to do with shopping, fashion or beauty is here.
- This is where you can find posts about decorating ideas.
- All of my updates about my 2010 Goals will be here.
- Charity of the Month
- All posts about Charity of the Month will be here.
- Each page has this button in the top right-hand corner.
- If you choose to subscribe from the Main page, you will be subscribing to the feeds for all sections of the blog. One –stop shopping!
- I am hoping that in the future you will have the option of subscribing to the Main page only as well, but for now if you go with Main, you get it all.
- If you would rather pick and choose individual pages to which you wish to subscribe, click on the on the particular page. You will only receive updates on that page or pages.
- If you are not already, you can follow me on Twitter: @purtyinorange (some miscreant already had Pretty in Orange and isn’t even USING it. Can you believe that?!?!)
- You will also be able to see my Twitter updates on the sidebar.
- You can become a fan of the blog on Facebook.
Blogroll and Links
- They’re all there together now, combined from Lawgirl and Fattie Fatterton. But they are still in their categories.
- From now when I comment on your blogs, it will show up as angela at prettyinorange.
- Guys, I am so sorry, but the majority of your comments didn’t make the cross over from the original two blogs to this one. I really apologize. But you can leave me alllll new ones on this blog!!
- At the bottom of each post, you have the option to share that post over the known world. There’s stuff on those buttons that I’ve never even heard of before.
- Please feel free to give it. I want to make this site accessible and easy for ya’ll.
The Original Blogs
- They will no longer be updated. All new posts will be on Pretty in Orange.
- To Teresa of Splendid Sparrow, who designed the what you see and the behind the scenes stuff that I would have taken a year to figure out. You can find her information at the bottom of the page.
There are still a couple of kinks to work out here and there, but I’m ready to move forward. I hope you enjoy the new blog!
Yes, I went back to the dentist today (we’re having the Thursday afternoon dating thing apparently). It was for a cleaning and evaluation.
I knew that the tooth behind the one that was pulled was in trouble, as it had cracked while the other one was being pulled. It cracked because it had a ginormous cavity in it that wasn’t visible with the other tooth blocking it. Because it’s a wisdom tooth that came in sideways (and because there is no matching tooth below it), it’s useless and it’s getting pulled next Thursday.
After that, I need a cavity filled on the other side of my mouth. My bottom teeth are all fine, it’s just the top for some reason.
Oh and there’s more, but I’m going to hold off on it for awhile. As of today’s visit, we’re at $600.
Hey, like I said, I’m just one tooth infection away from my goal weight. The soft food diet will be coming back next week.
For the record, I really do like this group of dentists. I just hate the pain in my mouth.
Raw Desserts Class
Robbin and I went to this tonight and I’m excited to share the experience with you. But, it will have to wait until tomorrow, as I am going to be talking to Chef Jennifer about it some more.
But it was yummy….
And you should be jealous….
OH!! and Robbin asked me how much weight I’ve lost in the last year. I said, not much, but I know I’m losing inches from working out. She said, you look like you’ve dropped about 50 pounds. Woot woot!! Not true, but hey, if it LOOKS that way, I’m okay with it.
Lunch with that Ashley Girl
I had lunch with my favorite personal trainer, Ashley, yesterday. Her last day at Lifetime is the end of this month and I’m going to miss her so much!! She is going to be a stay at home mom to Baby Owen, who is due at the end of July/beginning of August.
I had to miss her shower, so I gave her a present yesterday instead: a gift certificate to my nail salon. Let’s face it, she can’t reach those feet right now. So a pedicure is right up her alley. :D
Because I didn’t specify nitrous oxide when I made my cleaning appointment, I didn’t have it this time, as I was in a room that didn’t have that option. I gripped the chair so hard that my hand went numb. I’m sure that burned some calories.
Ummmm, yeah, I didn’t track today. I can tell you it was a lot of chocolate soymilk, chocolate ice cream and some pizza tonight.
I promise I will get back to tracking!! I have just been busy with the new site. It’s almost ready!!
I’m super-far behind and I’m so sorry!!
This Post is Lame
Yeah, I agree. Tomorrow it will be much better, because it will be about the Raw Desserts class.
Actually, my lizards aren’t leapin’ (and no, contrary to popular believe, I NEVER played Annie). But I ROCK Lizard Pose, thanks to my hips. Connie says that my hips are open and loose in ways that she can only dream about.
Because this is such an amazing stretch for your hamstring and opening for your hips, here are some step-by-step instructions (BUT please be careful and DO NOT PUSH IT. You really should do it in a class first, with an instructor watching you to make sure you don’t injure yourself). And yes, it’s better if you do it with warmed up muscles – like at the end of your practice/workout.
Step by step guide: This set of instructions will help you get an idea about the way to do this posture.
- First assume the Downward-facing Dog pose. Then put your right foot forward and place it along the outer side of the right hand. Make sure that the toes are slightly turned out.
- Your left knee should be lowered onto the yoga mat. When you do so, keep the tailbone tucked forward.
- Then as you breathe, your elbows should be lowered towards the mat and your right shoulder should touch the right knee. You can use a block as a prop below your forearms, if the whole workout seems too difficult.
- Feel the front part of your left knee or the quadriceps, and the left part of your belly stretch. To increase the degree of difficulty, you can take your left knee higher, off the ground.
- Be in the Lizard position for about five to six breaths, then just raise chest up and go back on your hands.
- Straighten out the back leg and bring it forward. Keep your body loose for sometime before getting into the Mountain Pose or Tadasana.
- You can do the same exercise on the other side.
If you want to play with the posture, you can work your shoulder under your thigh of the forward foot and eventually do this:
I can get a good deal of my arm under the leg, but not quite the shoulder. Yet.
This is also a good prep pose for Monkey Pose. But we’ll talk about that another time.
Yoga was just awesome last night. I left just feeling energized and happy. I pushed my hamstring hard and it feels okay today. It will get to rest today and tomorrow and then back to Yoga on Saturday.
Because the room was only 78 degrees (but with high humidity) I am lowering the calories burned.
Okay guys, I have SO much more I want to discuss, but I’ll save it for tonight.
Hi guys – I’m in the middle of a huge project tonight, so I will do my regular post in the morning.
Yes, I have the arms of a T-Rex.
Okay, they’re obviously NOT that useless, but the sad truth is that while I am 5’10” tall, which is 70”, only 31” of that are my legs.
Which means that I have a really long torso. I just measured it – it’s 25” long. And my arms are the same.
And because of this, I don’t think I will ever be able to lie on my back, with my leg straight up in the air and grasp my foot with my hand. I may have to use a strap forever.
These are not horrible things, and I actually giggled over it tonight as we worked on Camel Pose (not to be confused with Camel Toe).
- Stretches the entire front of the body, the ankles, thighs and groins,
- Abdomen and chest, and throat
- Stretches the deep hip flexors (psoas)
- Strengthens back muscles
- Improves posture
- Stimulates the organs of the abdomen and neck
I can do this pose pretty well. Connie had us place Yoga blocks on either side of our calves and try to reach those first.
And I reached for them and ended up bending sideways to pick them up, because my arms were too short to reach them. LOL. Not the point of the exercise.
So, I just leave my arms on my lower back and still get an amazing backbend.
Jen does this very well and can look at you from her upside down head. I told her she looked like Meryl Streep in Death Becomes Her when she falls down the stairs and her head is on backward.
About 2 minutes in for the part I’m speaking of, or watch the whole thing.
Connie also brought her Yogacise Body Lift. I didn’t try it out, because I know I am not ready for that type of headstand, but it looks really amazing and I wouldn’t mind having one someday.
This three-in-one prop can be used for headstand, as an off-the-floor meditation seat and as a portable weight-training bench for dips, push-ups and barbell/dumbbell sets. It comes with two adjustable tension straps for resistance training. Ample padding supports headstand without vertebrae or disk compression; sturdy handles help you maintain balance.
Connie paid me two very nice compliments tonight:
1. That I have an amazing attitude (especially about my body)
2. That I have grown so much in my Yoga practice.
I am very lucky to have the instructors I do.
Still mostly soft foods, though I am able to at least eat waffles now. I’ll start tracking everything again tomorrow.
1. What is one really fast, know-by-heart “go-to” meal to fix in a pinch?
2. What is one item you won’t leave home without. (Purse and license do not count.)
3. Where is one place you never tire of visiting?
4. Share one factoid of your family’s history.
My mom is a twin.
5. Complete this sentence: “Once upon a time I ….”
was lost but now I am found.
6. If you could win a one year’s supply of anything, what would it be?
7. “One quirky thing you may not know about me is ….”
I want you to take gum from me in twos. I don’t like odd numbers.
8. You have one dollar in your pocket. What will you buy?
Something to drink – I like to hydrate.
9. “One thing that always makes me laugh is ….”
The Golden Girls. RIP Rue.
10. What is one thing you could do today to help yourself reach a personal goal?
Learn web design.
11. What is one thing you could do today to bless someone else?
12. What is one thing you’re looking forward to soon?
And speaking of web design…
Might I recommend Angie of Angie Meeker Designs? I am going to be using her in the future and I LOVE HER!! First off, you can’t go wrong with an Angie. :D And her husband’s name is Bob!!! How cool is that?!?!?!
Okay, I’m off. Talk to you soon!
It was. Five days without Yoga. Five days of horrible pain.
And though these times are rare, I do get grumpy and irritable. And then it happens. The Truth Serum.
Usually it only happens during TOM, if then. But when it happens, when the stars align, oh yeah.
Let me give you some background before I explain the bitchiness that occurred tonight.
At Lifetime, the Pilates and Yoga rooms are right next to each other. The Pilates room has reformers in it and is locked when not in use. The Yoga room is mostly open space with some shelving in the back. Because the Pilates group teaches some mat classes as well as the reformers classes, they also store some of their stuff in there.
Recently, two Pilates chairs showed up at the back of the Yoga room. They’re not small – about 4.5 feet tall and almost two feet wide. And when space is already at a premium, they take up a lot of room.
Another thing that happened is that Pilates classes started being held in there, unbeknownst to the Yoga staff, as was revealed when Connie went to schedule her Intensive class. We were supposed to have it at 5:45 pm on Tuesdays. Lo and behold, there was already a Pilates class in the Yoga studio at 5:30 that night. So we had to switch to 6:45 pm.
Now, at the beginning, I really didn’t care about this too much, as I thought that Yoga and Pilates kind of went hand in hand and I have always wanted to try a reformer. But, I started noticing things.
I started noticing how the Pilates Girls (for most of them are female) weren’t friendly. And they also weren’t too quick to get out of the Yoga studio on Tuesday nights – leaving us just a few minutes before class to get ready. And then the chair thing started.
So, tonight I arrived for Jessie’s class, about 20 minutes early, which is what we do in Yoga – you need to arrive early to get a space and also to just kind of unwind. And guess who was there? Yup, the Pilates Girls, using the chairs. Had they booked the room? No.
They stayed in until about 10 minutes before class started. People were trying to set up around them. Finally, two of the three left. And I decided that since I don’t have to work with them, I had nothing to lose.
I approached one of them and asked who runs the program. She gave me the name and then asked if I was interested. I explained that I would love to take a Pilates class, but from what I had seen of those involved was a deterrent as all had been rude. And I told her that the chairs were taking up valuable space.
She apologized and said that she was sorry about any encounters I had had. She asked for a chance to change my mind. I told her I appreciated the offer, but that I wouldn’t be joining their group as it was.
Most of the time, I am pretty easygoing. But, I don’t like petty crap like that. I will call people out on it if I feel moved to do so. And tonight, the earth moved.
Maybe this will help the turf wars there. Who knows.
Yup, Yoga with Miss Jessie!! Our last Monday night with her until fall, as another teacher is going to take over for her for the summer on Mondays. I love Jessie and will miss her terribly in that class, but I know that girl needs a break somewhere. I’m glad she’s taking some days here and there for herself.
My hamstring is healing nicely. I am able to do standing forward bends for the most part. But I still have trouble with the seated ones.
Jessie started us on some new prep poses tonight. We started out with a Yoga split, which I am limited on right now because of the hammie.
Calms the brain
Stimulates the liver and kidneys
Stretches the hamstrings, calves, and thighs
Strengthens the thighs, knees, and ankles
Stretches the back of the leg, the front thigh and groin
Then when we brought the leg down, we pulled it behind the bracing leg and bent it off to the side. After three rounds of that, we lowered our leg and lifted our arms into Warrior III.
- Strengthens the ankles and legs
- Strengthens the shoulders and muscles of the back
- Tones the abdomen
- Improves balance and posture
I think she’s prepping us for this:
- Strengthens the arms and wrists
- Tones the belly and spine
- Improves sense of balance
Strengthens the wrists and arms
Tones the abdominal muscles
It’s going to be awhile for me on those, but hey, it’s fun to start working on them.
Let’s see, ice cream, a hot dog, a health shake, Spanish rice. Yup, still on the soft foods. The rice was a mistake because it is able to get right into the opening of where the tooth was and then it hurts like sonovabeyotch.
Well, darlings, that’s me. I’m glad that I am finally feeling better. Thanks to all of you for your well-wishes.